Monday, April 03, 2006

Kalyan - Pune (4-3-2006)

Bombay - Pune (or to be precise (Kalyan Pune > Via Karjat) (~ 150 Kms)

Well for all bulleteers this is not really a ride, and even for me now that I have done it atleast 20-30 times, but still there was a time when 150 Kms riding in a single day was a big deal for me. In reminiscence of those days, I am writing this ride report about my today morning’s ride from Kalyan to Pune.

Total Ride: 150 odd Kms :-) (Can't decide whether I can call it a ride)

Route > Kalyan > Through MIDC Badlapur > Karjat > > Khopoli >> Pune

Firstly as I said before this is not a BIG trip or a long RIDE as some might think. To some this ride might not even Justify a writeup but well since I have the words, you the time and blogspot the space, here we go.

Started Off at around 6 in the morning. Riding in the early mornings is an incomparable pleasure. The silence everywhere (except for the thump of the bull), the thick misty fog, empty roads, slight Chill in the air all add to the experience. There is a beauty in all these which just can’t be captured in photographs or described in text,(though my feeble attempt is seen here) you need to actually feel it. And for me the best way to feel this is on a motorcycle, with the breeze whizzing through your up turned visor, and the ground running fast 6 inches below your feet, with your body exposed to your elements , with you feeling every change in the environment, be it smell, dust, temperature, rain, heat anything et all.

As it is normally in the mornings, today too the roads were empty and I covered good distance in the morning. There is something about small village roads that endears me more to them than to the Big and smooth National highways.

Firstly you get to see a real glimpse of the countryside, the people out there in the villages and their supposedly simple life. The first time I saw a crowd today was somewhere near Vadagaon (a small Hamlet on the way) This was the opening time for a school 7:00 and there was chaos on the road like it normally is with Kids. Had a nice time giving lifts to kids/ locals in the morning. Village schools have a certain charm about them, a Small building, the Open Courtyard/ ground, complete with a Flag pole, oh and the cute little girls with their hair tied up in 2 small plaits, those school boys with their half pants. You can't stop admiring them.

A certain part of this Kalyan Karjat road runs parallel to the Railway track and as I rode through the empty road I could see almost empty trains rushing towards the City of dreams with their obnoxiously loud horns. In just a little while all these Local trains as we call them in this part of the country will be Jam packed, with people fighting for breathing space. Having gone to work and school in those trains I know well what it means to travel in these trains. The whole concept of personal space does not exist in Indian locals, you should consider yourself lucky if you can keep your feet on the floor of the train. Fortunately I did not have to look for Floor space as the floor beneath my foot was racing past me at 60 Kph and I had my foot pegs to rest on. There are some moments where you feel really fortunate, though normally I would’nt pay obeisances to anyone. This time I thank the powers that be for having relieved me from the rigors of Daily life in Bombay.

After a while of riding and the usual regular breaks to take some snaps, take in the view around and to just observe the usual stuff that you see around on the road. I was running quite behind schedule. It was almost 2 hours since I left and I had covered just 80 Kms or so. Then, I came across a number of people wearing similar yellow T shirts, walking on a Tar road towards Pune (Many/most of them Bare foot). Further ahead in the Road I came across these guys carrying a Palkhi(as seen in the Pic, a procession where the replica of the God / Goddess is carried over the shoulders of devotees.) Chatted up with them to find out about the same, and they informed me that this was Palkhi was being taken to a Place called Ekveera (about 60 Kms Uphill near Karla Caves). Sadly for these guys, the Raigad district administration has taken the roads for maintenance now, so all over there is Gravel and Sharp stones lying all around. The road is so bad at places that I was worried about getting a Puncture and miss my office arrival timings.

But these guys are going to brave it all through these conditions Bare foot!

I don’t know what should I call this, as some wise man said: Religion is Opium for the masses.. Before I start giving them crazzy names, I say to myself maybe the same could apply to me as well. There are 3 trains running between Bombay and Pune in the mornings, all of which will get me to the office well before time, which are supposedly more safer, comfortable and definitely more cheaper. But in spite of all the obvious advantages I chose to ride to brave it all just to experience what is fun for me. Maybe it’s the same for these guys, just maybe it could be fun for them. But I still don’t get how can walking across a graveled road barefoot can be fun. But then again My Dad too does not understand how can riding long distance with all the obvious disadvantages be fun. I leave it at that, maybe some things are better left unexplained/ un-understood.

Pondering over all this I slowly make way to Pune, I cross the Ghats over and am riding at around 60 kph and slowly trying to overtake a truck also going at 60, which is taking its own sweet time to give me way to overtake. All of a sudden I hear this constant honking from behind me. I see in my rear view and see it is a Pulsar, a second look confirms – Pulsar 180CC Black, the rider is completely prepped up with Leather Jacket, riding boots and gloves et al. This guy is in a real hurry and keeps honking continuously, and I am shaken away from my deep somber thoughts and I come back to NH4 and overtaking the truck. Now the need is more urgent with Mr Pulsar behind me, prodding me to go faster. Finally the Truck driver relents and I zip ahead and surprisingly the pulsar comes right next to me and he is now in line with me. I check the Speedo we are both at around 90 KPH, speeds at which I am not very comfortable : - ( but now this is a question of My Ego, and I zip ahead speedo’s reach 100 with the occasional flash touching 110) I look to the side and the Pulsar guy is right next to me and steadily accelerating. For a moment I think of opening the throttle up further and giving the guy a run for the money, the max I have done is 120 on my bike and I think I might just be able to take him on, then again maybe he is indeed a better rider than I am. Given the fact that he is competing so hard with me on a bike that is supposedly less powerful than mine(180 Vs 350cc) already he surely is a better rider.

Finally I decide the Race and the Risk is not worth it and let him whiz past ahead while I draw back to come back to my regular pace(50-60Kph). Within minutes that Pulsar guy is a tiny speck far ahead and has already crossed many trucks ahead and disappears often while overtaking. Whereas I am lazing around going slowly looking around for a place where I can stop and soothe my hurt ego :-). I guess High speed riding is not for me, speeds above 80 – 90 Kph give me jitters and I start to slow down at even the slightest sign of any other vehicle ahead. Looking back the Pulsar guy rode really well, guess I have a lot to learn. And I am still looking for a place to stop.

Going ahead there is a temple just off the highway near the turnoff for Malavalli station, the Place is worth a stop, Serene environment , clean temple, deafening silence and above all the temple has a good garden, so after riding for a while this makes it an interesting place to stop. Make sure you check this out > It is a Whitewashed South Indian style temple, on to your left when you are going towards Pune. About 10 -15Kms after you have crossed Lonavala moving towards Pune. The most distinct identity of this place is it is at a junction where there is a turn off for the Karla Caves and Malavalli Railway station.

I spent about 10-15 minutes there, chatting up with the priest about the temple ad the area in general, he has good patience for he answers all my queries with enough details and information to satisfy my curiosity. Finally I leave and get back on my bike there is still around 60 Kms to cover and I have to get back to work or at least get back to the place where I pretend to work.

Musing about whether this ride deserves to be written on a trip log or not I reach office around 10:30, and just as I enter I see my office buddies wave to me from the Balcony. Another work day begins, Time to shut the mind off and put the Body on Autopilot to work. As I put my Bike on the Parking lot in the company, thoughts of last week's pending work come back. I give my Bull a final Wipe with the cleaning cloth I carry and mentally thank it for giving me yet another trouble free ride. Thank you Red Bull.

Ride far, Ride Safe, Ride often,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude just one linear from ya.....
"A TRUE BIKE RIDER WHO KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH ROAD AND SPEED"

Anonymous said...

dude just one linear for ya..........
"A TRUE BIKE RIDER WHO KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH ROAD AND SPEED"

Anonymous said...

very nice; this is really tempting you know!!

Anonymous said...

while reading thru & at the end, it looked like i was in the rider seat and going thru the ride. Keep sharing...

John Proudlock said...

Great blog Hari - really interesting. I'm looking forward to reading more.....